Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

PGWP – The post-graduation work permit, allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Note: Work obtained through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program may help support your application to become a permanent resident of Canada. To know in detail about PGWP application processing time and other details about PGWP application call us at 780-666-6025

Work or live in Canada after you graduate

After you graduate from your program of studies, you may be able to work temporarily or even live permanently in Canada.


Work in Canada temporarily after you graduate

To work in Canada after you graduate, you need a work permit. The work experience you gain while working may help you qualify for permanent residence.

Post-graduation work permit (PGWP)

Graduates of certain designated learning institutions are eligible for this work permit.


Other types of work permits

If you’re not eligible for a PGWP, you may still be able to work in Canada after you graduate.


Find your path to permanent residence

You’ve studied in Canada and maybe you even have Canadian work experience. Now, you’d like to live here permanently. We have options for you to become a permanent resident!

The Come to Canada tool can help you explore your options. You can also use the cheat sheet below to compare programs. Visit the program’s eligibility page to get all the details.

Before you compare programs, here are two key terms you need to know:

Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)

The Canadian standard used to describe, measure and recognize English language ability of adult immigrants and prospective immigrants who plan to live and work in Canada, or apply for citizenship. The Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) is used to assess abilities in the French language.

National Occupation Code (NOC)

The National Occupation Classification (NOC) is a list of all the occupations in the Canadian labor market. It describes each job according to skill type and skill level. For immigration purposes, these are the main job groups:

  • Skill Type 0 (zero): management jobs
  • Skill Level A: professional jobs that usually call for a degree from a university
  • Skill Level B: technical jobs and skilled trades that usually call for a college diploma or training as an apprentice
  • Skill Level C: intermediate jobs that usually call for high school and/or job-specific training
  • Skill Level D: labour jobs that usually give on-the-job training