Live in caregivers are people who are qualified to offer care for children, elderly people or people with some disabilities in private homes without any supervision. Live-in caregivers need to stay in the private home where they work in Canada.

Live in Caregiver Program allows Canadian employers to recruit foreign caregivers (also known as nannies) to live and work in their Canadian homes for providing childcare or home support for elderly people or those with disabilities. Caregivers are allowed to apply for permanent residence in Canada after working two years in Canada.

The CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) recently ended the requirement of live-in until and unless there is any agreement between the caregiver and the employer for living in the home.

Requirements of the LCP (Live-in Caregiver Program) must be met by both the employer and the employee.

You need to have—

  • A written contract with your future employer, duly signed by you and the employer;
  • A positive LMIA(Labor Market Impact Assessment) from any employer in Canada;
  • Good knowledge of English or French;
  • Not less than six months’ training or not less than one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related occupation or field(including six months with any one employer) in the period of past three years;
  • Successful completion of equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education;
  • security, medical and criminal clearances; and
  • Last but not the least, a work permit before your arrival in Canada.

Employers shall have to apply for and get a positive LMIA before the caregiver becomes eligible to apply for a work permit under Live-in Caregivers program.

As an employer, you shall have to prove that—

  • You made a sincere effort to hire a Canadian by applying for an LMIA(through ESDC);
  • Made an offer of job that fulfills the acceptable guidelines;
  • You have sufficient funds/financial resources to support a caregiver;
  • Your home has appropriate space, if the caregiver is living in.

To get detailed information about applying as a caregiver or hiring a live-in caregiver, kindly contact SAI Canada Immigration Today for a Free Consultation!